I started blogging in 2014 to help track my progress as a new adult runner. You can read where I started and why here. I had only one goal at the time and that was to run and finish the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers International Half Marathon! That goal came and went, you can read about it here.
Since then, I have really changed a lot as a runner. I have been through injuries and am now working my way back up the running standard I have for set for myself.
My goals for 2016 were….
Honestly…I nailed it. I wanted to do certain things and made it happen. Of course I didn’t do this without the help of others but nonetheless I was successful at hitting my goals. To recap they were:
- Finish my FIRST marathon. On 10/30/2016 this happened. I crossed the line at The Marine Corp Marathon and it was AMAZING.
- Learn to be comfortable with uncomfortable. This I found I was also successful with. There were many days that I was just not feeling it but managed to make things happen. I owe a lot of that to my coach Kyle Kranz. He pushed me into those painful areas again and again. 🙂
- I wanted to PR in ALL distances. Hefty goal that again…I nailed.
- 5k: April
- 10k: July
- Half: April
- Full: October (obviously) 🙂
- To run more trail runs. This didn’t happen. I focused on the things I needed to do to succeed at other things and let this slip. I am ok with that.
Goals for 2017….
I was not nearly as disciplined as I should have been at times in 2016. I performed well on a poorly fueled body that was irregularly trained for most of the year. I want to do better than that. I want to push myself hard and focus on getting stronger mentally and physically. To do this I need to eat cleaner, cross train more and be strong enough to say no when my family wants to eat out or that soda is sounding tempting.
I have said again and again that 2017 is my year to get faster. I would love to be able to run faster overall. Be able to break into the 7’s back to back, not just the occasional mile here or there in a race. I have been able to get close but I have never committed to it like I want to now. That could always change though and I could slip and be a slacker again. So I hope, the motivation I have sticks. I hope it helps me build better habits and push myself more.
Run more miles. I am wanting to actually keep my weekly mileage higher. Each year I get it up to where I want it and then slack. <–Trending word right now! 🙂
Lastly, I want to simplify my life. I have been going through things lately trying to remove things I don’t need. This has been in every aspect of my life not just things at my home or office. If it causes stress, I don’t need it. If it doesn’t serve a purpose, I don’t need it. All I need is less stress, more smiles and lots and lots of happiness! 🙂
- Eat Cleaner
- Work on speed
- Run more weekly miles
- January: 49.17
- February: 69.57
- March: 48.66
- April: 69.5
- May: 28.82
- June: 14.64
- July: 0