There is only 2 days and approximately 3 miles between me and my first full marathon. So I wanted to share with you guys how my week has been going as this day FINALLY comes around.
For those of you that don’t know, in April of 2015 I was supposed to run my first full. 6 weeks from race day I started feeling a niggle in my foot. That niggle turned into an injury that kept me from running full time until January of this year. In January I started slowly building a base and getting up to feeling comfortable with the half distance. Then in May, I started working with my coach Kyle Kranz. At first, I just wanted someone to help me get through without being injured. Someone to make sure my plan was right for me and I was being successful. I have had many highs and lows in this training cycle but I am now within reach of this race….injury free!!!!!!!! And honestly, having a coach like Kyle got me there. He worked with me every step of the way, understanding missed runs, bad runs, good runs and changes in my schedule. Putting strength training in my schedule to make sure I wasn’t neglecting my body. I don’t require a lot of communication when working with someone but anytime I needed something…he was right there with an answer. Seriously, if you are looking for someone to work with…I couldn’t recommend him more.
So what kind of thoughts go running around in my head the week of a race I have waited a year and a half for????
- Should I pack yet? I am a procrastinator! I am leaving at 10 am tomorrow and I have been considering packing all week. So I might tonight, if not…I guess I will have to do it in the morning.
- Can I please stop waking up in the middle of the night!! Every night this week I have woken up at about 3 am. Apparently I am a little restless.
- Is pacing going to be an issue? I actually even talked to Kyle about this. I know that I won’t truly be happy with anything less than 4:30…I know I can run that. Everyone says..just be happy to finish your first. Which yes ultimately that is the goal but runners aren’t programmed like that. We know what we are capable of and don’t want to settle for less. But I have never raced a marathon…so I am just going to be running it which is different. Big time! Plus, I have MCM in 5 weeks!!!! <–I can’t neglect to remember that while running Saturday!
- What am I going to have for dinner Friday and Saturday? This is a real concern, I am going to be in a town I haven’t stayed in before so I don’t know what food is there. I will be taking my own breakfast for Saturday morning so that is not a worry.
- Running without Dare!!!! My main running bud won’t be there!! He has a cross country invitational that same day and his team comes first. It will be weird not having him there for something like this. He was there for my first 10k, half and it would be great to have him there for this but I am not the priority. He and his team are.
- The rest of the weekend! I am driving over by myself tomorrow so I can make packet pickup. Kevin and Diggs are coming later after work and football. The really nice part is Kevin used to be stationed at WPAFB, which means he knows his way around and he knows some folks that are still active plus some that just live in the area. We will be able to visit his people and spend some much needed time with them. He also plans on us taking Diggs to the National Museum of the USAF so we will get some much needed time with him.
- What if something goes wrong? I have had dreams about forgetting my Huma, having my foot injury come back, feeling like trash 3 miles in…and just having a horrible race. The cool part is, I am ok with things going wrong. I know I will have my fuel, my shoes, my ‘plan’ and whatever else happens….is ok! Kyle has helped me prepare physically and mentally (his workouts have really made me dig deep at times). On top of knowing my body is capable of anything, I am prepared. I will not allow myself to be the enemy Saturday morning.
Those are my thoughts for now anyway! I am hoping to get heading to Dayton Ohio around 10 am tomorrow morning and will try to post something in the evening. Of course a full recap next week for sure!!!!!