Marathon training is moving right along and I have been having a blast! My coach Kyle has been giving me GREAT workouts that really challenge me physically but also make me realize how much I love the hard work. I feel myself getting stronger physically and mentally each week! Oh, and he has worked in lots of races for me as workouts and I am super happy about that!
I am now in week 7? I think…I don’t keep track to the week number very well…sorry! But I wanted to share some things I have done/noticed and where my running is with just a little over 8 weeks left to go!!!!!!!
I started working with Kyle right after I ran the Tear Drop Half Marathon. At this point he had me do some recovery. During this time of course I mentally felt like I was losing fitness. Even though that wasn’t really happening I still have a huge fear of getting slower. I stuck to each workout and made sure I did it as prescribed. Since then I have had a few crappy 5k’s, a few worse than I would like runs and some that I just don’t want to mention. Running is such a mental game and so I tend to focus on the negative. Up until I looked at my upcoming schedule that Kyle just loaded, I had been doing that with this training cycle as well.
My schedule is loaded at approximately 2 weeks at a time. I get just a glimpse as to what I am doing and until that 2 weeks is almost done, he doesn’t load anything else. So when I saw that he had added a couple more weeks I got excited. Then I saw it…the looming first real ‘long run’. July 24th he added a 16 miler. At first I did the..shit! Can I run 16 miles? I don’t know if I can do that! Ummm…I will make it…I think. Then I stopped and thought about it.
I have been running for awhile. I have run 16 miles before, and further…more than once. I have already run one and will be running a second half marathon (this Sunday) this month too. So why the freaking out? I have run longer already they were just races instead of a scheduled run. I started thinking of the bad runs, races, and thoughts I have had over the last few months. I didn’t look at the good. So I want to point out a few things I have done this year.
- PR’d in the 5k, 10k and half! Yep…all three and its only July!!
- Hired a coach that pushes me physically yet pays attention to my running
- Ran more consistent miles than ever
- Not made excuses!! Hot, humid, raining, tired, hungry, headache…doesn’t matter
- I am strength training (ok, Kyle puts it on the schedule) but I do it! Every time!
And now what am I going to work on doing until 9/17 aka AFM…
- Staying positive about myself
- More core work daily
- Work on my diet (typed as I eat caramel corn;))
- More push-ups…probably along with core (I will do a clap!!)
- Continue being consistent with training
- We are starting a challenge at work so I hope this helps! 🙂