Happy Thursday!! This week has been crazy!!
Let me back up to last Saturday for a moment. I had a 6 mile progression run. This was in place of Savage race that, due to unforeseen circumstances I couldn’t make it too. I was suppose to run 3 easy, 2 moderate, 1 hard. Typical run right? I was good with that. I was ready. We were at my parents lake house that has a 6 mile loop around it, so I headed out. The first 2 miles were warm but manageable. The closer I got to being done with my third mile the more I knew pushing the pace was going to be extremely difficult. And it was. From mile 3 on the run was shitty. I was worn out. I struggled more than I have in a very very long time. I ended up being reduced to a run/walk and sucked it up as a bad day. That happens sometimes. I am ok with that. I spent the rest of the day relaxing.
Then yesterday happened. Another 6 miler. Another horrible run. This time a fartlek though. Apparently I am just not supposed to run this distance! 🙂
Once again, for the first half I felt great. I did an out and back so when I turned around I really noticed my body saying F* this! I had taken an 18 oz handheld with me and by the time I hit 4 miles it was almost gone. I saw some woman outside and stopped, asked her if she could hook me up with some water, she obliged and I was back on my way. <–yes she was a stranger. Something I learned long ago, if you are out of water and need it. Don’t be scared to ask. It would have been dumb for me to continue my run without it. I was too hot and the weather (humidity) was not helping. I needed to have something in my system. I did finish this 6 miles 9 minutes faster than Saturdays but still much slower than I am capable of. This was almost discouraging.Then while I was in the shower (does anyone else do major run reflection then too?) I remembered some things.
- 6 months ago I couldn’t run 6 miles as fast as I can now. Even a shitty 6 miles.
- Weather can kill a run quickly and it isn’t that I am getting out of shape.
- I will soon be able to run at different times of the day instead of when it is full sun.
- Making it through these runs will still benefit me in the long scheme of things.
- Everyone has bad days.
- I haven’t been taking my electrolytes that I usually do when it is hot/humid. Duh!
- Maybe I need to get my nutrition into gear. Donuts are still ok right?
- I ran both of these in just a sports bra which is something I have NEVER done!!!!!
Taking all things into consideration it really isn’t that bad. No I didn’t hit the paces I wanted too. No I didn’t finish these runs feeling 100%. Yes, I am proud of them both. Yep, that’s right! Be proud of each run you finish. The bad and the good. They are all part of the process. Now, I don’t have another 6 mile run until next week so I am going to cross my fingers on that one! 😉