As I wrote yesterday, I was in an accident on my way home from work on Wednesday. My car is totaled but I am OK!!!! I hurt like crazy but I will take that any day over being injured. I had never been in an accident prior to this and learned a few things I would like to share:
|My Caddy is no more
- God is good! I already knew this but a lot of people get seriously injured in accidents just like mine and I got to walk away. I walked slowly and hurting but I know someone was look out for me.
- Airbags are HOT, I mean burn you hot! This was scary because I didn’t know and all I saw was smoke and smelled a burning scent! I did find out that my Garmin is tough!! The airbag hit my left wrist and saved my wrist from getting too burnt. It is a little but, the Garmin has no damage at all!!!
- People are truly capable of making good solid decisions in a split second! It’s amazing how you can react instinctively when you need to.
- A vehicle is a vehicle, is a vehicle. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. I always said I loved my car. In reality, I liked having it and driving it and most of all that it kept me injury free when I needed it too.
- Foam rollers are amazing! I have foamed rolled a couple of times since my accident and it is helping tremendously!
- I have come to realize before any race that I am really excited about something bad happens! three days before my first 10k ever I hit a deer in my car. Two days before I ran Zooma in Chicago I sprained my ankle pretty badly. Then now, four days before my half-marathon in Detroit my vehicle is totaled. Should I stop racing???
- Things can truly change in a moments time. This I learned awhile ago but it still some others don’t realize how true this really is. I never thought about it until my sister was in an accident a year and a half ago. She was in the hospital for seven months and is still recovering to an extent. She was critical at one point and they weren’t sure how she would recover. Don’t ever take life as you know it for granted. The people around you, those strangers you bump into, family, friends and everyone else out there. Don’t criticize, don’t be cruel just show how caring and kind people really can be. Others need that. It really does make a difference.
I laid around the house most of the day just trying to relax. One of our dogs decided he wanted to do that too.
|What kind of dog lies like this? Really?!
Last night I decided to try to run a little regardless of being sore. I just had a feeling it might help loosen me up a little and it did. It hurt at first but not unbearable. I just ran 1 mile but it warmed me up enough to get a good stretch in to relax my body a little bit.
Tonight we are off to Detroit to get ready for my kids to race tomorrow!!!! I am hoping I can relax a little before then so I am good to go on Sunday!!!!
Have you ever been in a car accident? What did you learn?
Do you have any tips to relieve sore muscles ASAP?